Every year thousands of Indian students go to Canada for higher education. Canada offers some of the best universities of the world with a myriad of courses and qualifications. While studying abroad has its own perks, the fees however, are too high for an average Indian student.
In order to bring the cost of post-secondary education in Canada within their reach, a lot of students try to go for scholarships that are accepted by various educational institutions in Canada. These scholarships enable the deserving students to attend Canada’s best colleges and universities. Some of these scholarships are:
- Academic Scholarships – Academic scholarships are awarded by almost every Canadian university to those students who have performed at a high academic level. Every college and university has different criteria and award various amounts for this kind of a scholarship.
- Merit Scholarships – Merit scholarships are awarded by looking upon various factors like community involvement, innovative skills, leadership qualities etc. In this case, judges receive applications from the applicants out of which a few are shortlisted for the prize money.
- Entrance Scholarships – Such scholarships are awarded by every university separately according to an entrance test. Pre-requisites for such a scholarship include excellent grades along with merit criteria just like in the case of a merit scholarship.
- Automatic Consideration Scholarships – They are offered like an award or as financial aid. Criteria include top-notch grades, athletic achievements along with extracurricular involvement. No application or entrance test is required as the university determines the recipient on their own.
- Prestigious Scholarships in Canada – A number of prestigious organisations both – private and government also award scholarships to students coming from other countries. A few of them include:
a. Archives Society of Alberta
b. Cameco Corporation
c. Alexander G. Bell Association for the Deaf
d. Black Business & Professional Association
e. Aboriginal Nurses Association of Canada
- University and College Bursaries – A wide range of bursaries are also offered by various business owners, private donors and organisations. While some bursaries are awarded for just a particular field of study, others can be offered for any field. They are usually given to help students with financial strain. Examples of some renowned bursaries in Canada include:
a. Elmer Shaw Entrance Bursaries
b. Voortman Cookies Bursaries
c. Association of BC Forest Professionals Bursaries
d. Anna Sorkomova Memorial Bursaries
Canada is home to world’s top colleges and universities and due to this country’s commitment to higher education, scholarships and bursaries are made available to deserving candidates. Canadian scholarships can be found through various famous organisations, clubs like sporting organizations or community groups, and through employers and unions.
We, at Nanda & Associate Lawyers, are a leading immigration lawyers in Chandigarh. Our experienced associates have helped hundreds of students to live their dream in Canada through study routes.