In the Federal Skilled Worker immigration category, applicants from India and worldwide are granted permanent resident visas. The selection criterion in this program is based on the capability of the skilled workers to immigrate, support themselves and settle down economically in Canada.
Under this program, IRCC seeks to accept skilled workers into Canada to promote and maintain the diversity and skills of Canada’s labour force.
The federal skilled worker program is governed as per the Express Entry program which has certain steps involved.
Who can be a Federal Skilled Worker?
All applicants in the Federal Skilled Worker Category (FSWC) need to mandatorily clear the minimum point requirement– 67 out of 100.
Once the applicant clears the points threshold, they create an online profile under the Express Entry pool of candidates. Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is used to assign points to applicants in the pool.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) has many selection factors including:
- Demonstrate one year of paid skilled work experience or similar experience out of a total of the last 10 years in specified occupations (NOC- 0/A/B)
- A full-time and permanent job offer from a Canadian employer (LMIA)
- Language proficiency in French or English (one of the two official languages)
- Level of education is considered (education obtained in Canada is assigned higher points)
- Age of the applicant (higher age gives lower points)
- Adaptability includes blood relatives in Canada, any ties to Canada, etc
- Obtain a minimum of 67 points as per the CRS points system
A draw is conducted by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and the highest-ranked applicants are invited to apply (ITA). The chosen applicants have a period of sixty (60) days from the date of invitation to submit their permanent residence application.
After an Indian applicant has met the eligibility requirements successfully, they need to demonstrate proof for their settlement funds. The applicant and their dependents need to successfully clear medical examinations from an approved physician.
In the Federal Skilled Worker category, the last steps include smoothly clearing the criminal and security checks in the Canadian immigration process.
How We Can Help
Connect with Nanda & Associate Lawyers now to resolve all your queries on the Express Entry program. If you are considering applying for a permanent residency in Canada from India, get in touch with us today.