Indian nationals in Canada can apply for permanent residency under the Caregiver program if they are providing at-home care for childcare, seniors or people with disabilities.
In this program, the caregiver lives in with the care receiver as per the mutual agreement between both the parties. The employer also submits the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to IRCC and does not deduct any boarding and lodging expenses from the caregiver’s salary.
The caregiver program opens up during the year. Once it’s closed, only the below cases are eligible to apply:
- An Indian national caregiver with an LCP work permit is eligible to apply
- An Indian national caregiver where the live-in arrangement has been agreed to and written in the LMIA can apply
A caregiver can apply for permanent residency in three different ways in this program:
- Childcare – an Indian national caregiver with at least two years of experience in providing full-time child care in a Canadian home can apply
- People having high medical needs – an Indian national caregiver with at least two years experience in working as a home support worker, nurse, nursing aide in Canada can apply
- Live-in arrangement – an Indian national caregiver with at least two years of work experience in the live-in caregiver program in Canada can apply